Thursday, February 23, 2012

a note home


I miss you, U.S.A.

I miss you, Montana, with your big sky and your mountains, and the poetry that you inspire in my heart. I miss you also, precious father who is living in Montana. And I miss you, Washington State, with your newly passed Gay Marriage Approval, and your own mountains, and your Palouse region with the beautiful hills and the wheat fields and my precious mother, and your Seattle, where I would find my big brother. I miss you, Minnesota, with your cold and your fields and your Minneapolis, and your lakes and your Lutherans, and a big chunk of my family, and my college, and my friends. I miss you, New Mexico, even though I was too young to really know you – I will find my way back to you. I miss you, Painted Valley of North Dakota. I miss you, Chicago. I even miss you, North Idaho, because you have lake Coeur d’Alene, and that is not something every state can claim. 

It’s being gone that makes me appreciate how beautiful my country really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment