Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Famille d'accueil

Bonjour from Rennes! 

I've moved into my new home and begun to set up my courses for the semester. It's absolutely crazy to finally be living this dream. It's real and it's not real at the same time.

I'm very happy to be with my host family. I have two teenage brothers, Valentin and Guillaume, and a very little sister, Alisa. She is adopted from Russia. She will have her third birthday in February and it will be a "grande fête" because this year will be her first birthday celebrated in France. Her mother (my host mom) is a single mom. It's a very close family and they love to do things together, and I feel very welcome. Of course I can't understand a word that my host-brothers say because they speak french so quickly, but that will get better (one hopes.)

The house itself is really cute - three stories, tall and thin, in a building with other establishments on both sides. It's in one of the older neighborhoods in Rennes. There is a little garden out back, where the family rabbit and the cat live. My room is at the top of the house, essentially what one would call the loft, and it's essentially my domain. We are right next to a beautiful old church and I can hear the bells toll the hour. I do need to explore this neighborhood a bit more. It's quiet but picturesque. 

Right now, all is new, and I am fearful of being a bad guest! But I will try to make life as easy as possible for everyone, and to not stress so much.  I know life will become more comfortable as I learn the ropes. 

This friday we are all going to hear my host-mom's brother play in his hard-rock band! 

À tout à l'heure!

No comments:

Post a Comment